Tuesday 24 March 2015

Evaluation Question 2


Here below is a poll I've used within my evaluation question above in order to gather outside opinions as well as my own...


How effective would you say the combination of my main product and ancillary texts are?

Very Effective
They work ok
Could be better
I don't think they work together at all

Poll Maker


Part 2
Looking at genre theory and how it helped influence me in the process of making my main product and ancillary texts.


When creating both my music video and ancillary texts i used a combination of effective technies in the design,planning an researching process in order for them to work together well as a whole.In doing this is what vital that before doing anything i looked into Genre theory and what makes the Pop genre what it is.I decided to conduct this research as i knew it would be benefitical in giving me new ideas and inspriation thats conventional/uncovnentional within the pop genre.Genres nowadays allow artist to be specifically placed and perivced by others.When  artists conform to a genre they place themsleevs in a catagory amongst other competetivers and allow themselves to be indientified along side them.Creating identites for my artists themselves i began looking at the importance of it.I noticed artists who blend between the boudnaries of genre are less identifiable and less easily to undersdtand,amny people who listen to music liek a certain type,hence having different genres.Because i identified that my music video and artist would fit within the pop genre i decided to base my theory around this.

David Duff suggest " Genre is a reoccuring type or catagory of text as deifned by structural and thematic criteria".When reading this it made sense,each genre is deifnd by what makes it the way it is.The themes of the genre for examples the style of music,the generic appearnce of the atrists,if its mainstream etc... are all what make up a genre.Once i identified this i found it alot more easier to understand what the pop genre consisted of and how my products would fit in with it.Once id narrowed down and understood what each genre is defined by it made it weasily within the desing and creantion p[rocess as i knew what to do in order to be identified within Pop and not edge into different genres,which wasnt my aim.Becaus eof this,i did exsisitng product research and found convnetional item from exisiting aristists such as Katy Perry and Rihanna and looked at how they displayed themseleves and their products therefore drawing imforation directly form people within my genre.Understanding the genre theory,helped influence me alot.It gave me a clear path of  where to go in terms of colour use,desing technique,and the other elements i was using within my music video.It influenced me in what to stay away from also,and how to make both my products identify with being POP whilst still having a fresh new look to them.

As i began looking further into genre theory i found that Steve Neal 1980 suggests "Genres are instances of repeption and difference...difference is absolutly essential to the economy of genre: mere repetion would not attarct a genre". Having read this it made me understand how all gewnres need to be different in order for them to be they way they are.If they all shared every exact concept there would eb no distiniction between them and it wouldnt work.As he states,difference is essential and i feel this to be true.When creating my media products with this is in mind reassured me about what i was doing.It helped me conform to the conventional aspects you see othe rpop artists do,espicall within my ancillary texts.

I feel one of the main reasons my main products and ancilalry texts worked effectively as a combination was because i emulated features from one to the other.I tired to keep continutity running throughout it order to show noticeable elemenets that draw all ym products together by.In doing so,i feel my products were really effective.Because i looked at genre theory from the outset i feel it gave me a starting point,it influence me in terms of sticking to my chosen genre in order for my artist/s to be indentifiyable.Throughout my research i conducted very sepcifc research on the pop genre and didnt want to vear away form this just because my design lacked conventions.I feel becaus eof the use of genre theory i was able to create effective products that stand together as one,which are exrtremnely covnentional and are very evidently Pop in genre.I wnated people to instantly know the genre of my products just on first glance,without lsitenign to ym video of reading my advert/digipak.And i feel because of the use og genre theory,i was able to do that.




Videoed explanation of why i think my main product and ancillary texts are an effective combination




 

No comments:

Post a Comment